Monday 14 September 2009

Sunfire’s borean leather grinding guide

I have never been able to make money on my crafting. Probably mainly because I don’t seem to know the market well. I either under price or horribly overprice. And I just find it to be a damn annoyance running from the mailbox to the auction house when auctions don’t sell the first time. As a consequence of this… I never have been very wealthy. And buying any crafting materials quickly drains my funds to about dirt poor level. So, I learned to grind grind grind for my materials. And someway along the way... I even started to enjoy it. Now it still can be tedious work. And depending on what you trying to extract from the big assed hairy and weird smelling rhino in front of you… you can either be very lucky… or end up killing the rhinos whole family tree without catching a glance of what you want.

I have listed the most normal drops. These drops are normally stackable in stacks of 5 or 20. The price per stack will help you prioritize what is more profitable to keep if you need to free bag space and is far from a vendor. Running back and forth to a vendor all the time will effect your effective grind time and make it less profitable. Basically… its better grinding none stop for 40 minutes then during those minutes take two trips to a vendor. So I strongly recommend having as much free bag space as possible when you start your grind. Also set a goal with your farming session. Either set a time, or how many stacks of leather you want before quitting or just make a plan to stop when you run out of bag space. I usually have 4-5 stacks of borean leather as a goal. And that takes about 80-100 kills.

Farming borean leather
Every skinner seems to have their choice of grinding spot. I myself find the zone Sholazar basin to be a very nice place. The skinnable creatures are in good numbers all over the zone, and you never have to move very far to reach the next creature. Cold weather flying is not required. Since its counts as a 77+ zone it’s nice to at least be at level 74-75 for this farming. As a level 80 hunter I usually just put my pet on aggressive and melees all mobs. I find that they still die fast enough and I don’t have to spend any money on consumable items as ammunition (Yeah yeah, so I’m cheap… what’s it to you)

Disclaimer. Prices are from the 9th of september 2009 from Wowhead
All these creatures have a 99% chance for borean leather, and 1% chance for arctic fur. So in theory you should be able to get one arctic fur per hundred kill. In theory that is. Sadly reality hssvern’t really given my that odds lately.



Crocolisks and cobras
This area is directly below Wildgrowth Mangal and west of it. Basicly just west of River’s Heart but not stretching as far as Nesingwary’s base camp. I’m particularly fond of this place because it’s easy for me as a hunter to grind. I just can put my pet on aggressive and keep busy with minimum down time. The creatures are close to each other and I normally can keep myself busy all the time and with minimum movement required between one kill to the next. So one hour grind could really give you value for your effort. And 99% of the time… you get to farm alone here.
Emperors cobra 75-76 note: doesn’t drop any meat
Loot: Rubicond Scale 81% stack of 20=3g90s
Hollow fang 19% stack of 5=1g23s75c
Mangal crocolisk 74-76
Loot: Severed flipper 81% stack of 20=3g90s
Chilled meat 60% droprate, stack of 20 =30s
Colossal Jaws 19% stack of 20=4g95s

Rhinos and dreadsabers
Keep above Nesingwary’s base camp up to the area up to the Maker’s perch. And keep of the left of the Suntouched pillar. Going beyond that are is a waste of time. The longer you have to move for the next creature, the more waste of time. This area I often find more populated with other players as well… so the time between kills can considerably grow and you basically spending to much time searching for your next target… and probably at the same time getting annoyed over your competition. But the side loot of rhino meat really can make it worth it if you are a cook like me or just want to make an extra income from the auction house. So I still recommend making a pass over that area to see how heavily farmed it is at the moment. Under the right conditions its prime farming ground for borean leather and rhino meat.
Shardhorn Rhino 75-76
Loot: Stinking Fur 80% stack of 20=3g90s
Rhino meat 50% stack of 20=40s
Pearly horn 19% stack of 5=4g95s
Chilled meat 5% droprate, stack of 20 =30s
Dreadsaber 75-76
Loot: Serrated Fang 81%, stack of 20 3g90s
Chilled meat 60% droprate, stack of 20 =30s
Indurate Claw 19%, stack of 20=4g95c

Gorillas
Judt east of the frenzyheart hill and all the way to the mountain wall. As a hunter this grind spot is less appealing because the most common gorilla, the hardnuckle forager isn’t by default aggressive, so having pet on aggressive doesn’t automatically attack them. So it’s less effective grind for me in the long run. Now, a guildie of mine really enjoy this area. I myself am not too fond of the ape family… so even killing apes doesn’t really appeal to me since they have a knack of annoying the hell out of me. But the density of the population makes it a good grinding area. Unless you like me just gets to annoyed with their apy-sounds this is also a good and easy farming spot
Hardnuckle charger 72-77, hardnuckle forager 76, hardnuckle matriarch 77
Loot: swatch of gorilla hair 94% droprate, stack of 5=31s28c
Chilled meat 60% droprate, stack of 20 =30s
Hefty barrel 5%, dosnt stack 49s75c
Vicious fang 0,3 stack of 20=3g12s4c

1 comment:

  1. Aah do hates them gorillas...hairy grunting fools. The advantage of that spot in particular I think is that there are a number of extremely dense clusters of mobs, I think the largest is 9 animals all within 30 yards of each other. You can do a neat circuit around the insect-spawning grounds in the middle, or just buzz between 2 or 3 pockets of gorilla-y goodness and be sure that the respawns will be up by the time you start your cycle again. Plus they occasionally drop hefty barrels, which amuses me :)

    ReplyDelete